Warrior Cats: A RPG

NEWS: September's Gathering is open for everyone to post in!

Weather; Greenleaf is here and the sun is shining bright! Temperatures are averaging 90F/32C. Some rain would be nice, but there's only the occasional pop-up thunderstorm... at least leaf-fall will be here soon?

September Contests: None - Artist/RPer of the Month will return in October!

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

an answer, if you will, private
Cedarheart
 Posted: Oct 2 2017, 06:22 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun
Member Inventory: View
Donate Freshkill: Here

Badges

Awards: 1

Afflicted with paw-in-mouth syndrome.

RiverClan

Cedarheart's eyes widened a little as she immediately questioned him back. It wasn't an easy question to answer, but he supposed it was only fair to try. "...Not always," he said quietly, "but some days our Clan feels emptier than it should." There was nothing more to say about that. He'd grieved and moved on from the deaths of his parents and littermates, but the more recent deaths of their Clan were more difficult to set aside. It took time to cope with loss, time that he didn't have anymore.

He could see her leaning away from him, and he realized he'd gotten a touch too close. Looking a little apologetic, he shifted sideways a bit to put the extra steps between them. The slight twitch to his whiskers betrayed his sheepishness. They weren't Clanmates. This needed to not get as personal as they'd made it.

Her defensive outburst certainly did a bit to create that distance. He winced, turning his head away from her to look downriver as she reigned in her frustration. It was probably more to do with their situation than actually him, but it still stung a little bit. "You asked because you cared about Hollowfrost," he corrected, perhaps a little more sharply than he had originally intended to. "You care about the cat I consider my brother, even if the rest of your Clan does not. You've been defensive and on edge with me, and I get that; we are not Clanmates and there will always be a border between us. But you can't tell me I shouldn't help an injured cat who was so willing to make things right that she empathized and opened up to a stranger." His voice gradually softened as he spoke, one ear slowly pricking forward from where they were pressed flat against his skull. The resulting expression was cautious, but a confusing mixture of embarrassed and frustrated. "Believe it or not, I don't settle for lengthy conversations with every cat on the border."

The tension between them was a little uneasy even when the tom had never really raised his voice. Both of them realizing how much more intimate their conversation had actually gotten, and both of them being entirely unsure if that was an acceptable thing to happen. How far was he willing to go in that moral grey area around the Code? How far had he already gotten? He had no idea what he'd even say to Hollowfrost, if he said anything at all.

And then she excused herself and the tension in him abruptly snapped. He snorted, trying to stifle the quiet laughter in his throat. "If you'll excuse mine," he countered with a more gentle, sheepish expression.

--------------------
Deputy of Civil Affairs of RiverClan.
PM
^
Spottedlegs
 Posted: Oct 3 2017, 01:27 PM

Spottedlegs

Freshkill:
Warrior
Female
Played by Elmo

Badges

Awards: None

ThunderClan

So perhaps his loneness wasn’t on par with her own. The warrior thought about that while she watched him, his small retreat relaxing what little tension she still carried in her shoulders.

Though his retort brought it back, prickling the wet hairs along her spine. They were too heavy to bristle and the need to do so vanished as quickly as it had come as she registered his words. The deputies’ tone was sharp but it held truth and it stung. Yet it was also a strange balm of relief and… and what? Another emotion mingled inside, something she couldn’t identify and hadn’t ever felt before. That was a lie, it was a feeling similar to what she felt for her sisters and brother. A bond of some kind had been formed today, as strange and fragile as it was.

The ThunderClanner felt herself swell up with relief and strength, holding her head just a notch higher and raising her tail from its water-soaked bed on the forest floor. Spottedlegs did care for her brother and damn anyone to NightClan if they thought less of her for it! But that relief came from his admission, even if his words were a sharp retort to her own. Maybe she was a fool for crossing into a gray area with the RiverClan deputy, for allowing their conversation to go so far and become so personal, but then so was he. For doing those things and, StarClan bless him, for also allowing a place in his heart for Hollowfrost.

She snorted, half disbelief and half amusement (wait, is she capable of that?), as he ended his rant. Not believing for a moment that she was some special case on the border, though she felt pleased with the statement nonetheless.

Collecting herself and sliding on her normal, expressionless mask she turned fully towards him. ”You are an unusual cat,” she announced coolly, though for a moment she allowed her pale eyes to sparkle with thanks, ”but I think you’ve given me the strength I need to make things right with my sisters. I’m sorry to say that I might not be ready to face my brother yet.”

Her mouth hardened into a thin line as he stifled his laughter, though she wasn’t at all offended by whatever he found so humorous. If anything it was nice to see his face relax, the lines of tension easing across his handsome face. Did everyone appear so much better when they were smiling? Would she look better if she smiled?

Her ears burned a little at her turn of thought, but her voice was still calm as she added, ”I know you are friends with my brother and I am not asking you to lie, should he ask, but I would prefer if this… situation wasn’t mentioned to him.”
PM
^
Cedarheart
 Posted: Oct 3 2017, 04:38 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun

Badges

RiverClan

Cedarheart dipped his head in acknowledgement, cold water dripping from his fur as he moved. He could see the wisdom in starting closer to home and reconnecting with the kin of her own Clan, though he hadn't really realized that she was even disconnected from siblings other than Hollowfrost. Just how alone was she?

There was sympathy shining in his eyes as she spoke, but he said nothing. Only his body language noted that he'd heard her at all. He didn't really need to give input on a decision she'd already made, particularly if it was one he privately agreed with. He didn't know how ready Hollowfrost would be to reconnect with her, either, especially given the distance between he and Superpaw. He was never the best at reaching out to family.

Spottedlegs' request; however, needed answering. "It isn't something that I'd necessarily like to hide from him," he warned her gently, "but I can understand the need for discretion." He looked pensive for a few moments, hesitating as he thought about how exactly he was going to tell Hollowfrost about this. And how to justify that to Spottedlegs without sparking animosity between them. "When things are more settled between you, I'd like to tell him at least some of this."

"The personal things I'll leave for you to share, but sooner or later I'll have to explain myself. He'd want to know that you asked about him and that I helped you. As awkward as it is, I can't pretend that it wouldn't violate his trust otherwise."

Cedarheart's ears twitched as he caught the sound of distant voices on the breeze. It was late enough now that patrols could be nearby. His eyes narrowed slightly, though he didn't look too concerned yet. "I'll need to leave soon," he told Spottedlegs carefully.

His gaze flickered back to Spottedlegs and to the now-sodden dressing of cobwebs that had been wrapped around her paw. That would have to be dealt with if they wanted to plausibly deny this meeting to their Clanmates. He flicked his tail, gesturing for her to wait where she was, and quickly moved back across the river to the rockier shore on RiverClan's side. Spottedlegs would likely be unable to see well from where she was as the RiverClan deputy bustled about between the large rocks, but she would probably figure it out as he eventually swam back across to her with a mouthful of fresh cobwebs.

This time he was more careful to keep his distance when he approached the bank. Cedarheart set the sticky webs onto a rock to keep the dirt out of it, and stepped back to let the she-cat gather them for herself. "I'm sure the river spiders will have more by tomorrow," he excused, "but fresh bindings will get fewer questions than ones half-washed off your paw."

--------------------
PM
^
Spottedlegs
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 04:06 PM

Spottedlegs

Freshkill:
Warrior
Female
Played by Elmo

Badges

Awards: None

ThunderClan

She'd never had anyone close enough to care whose trust she violated with the things she shared, not that she went around spilling any secrets she'd ever heard, unless of course they were a threat to the clan. So she struggled to understand his need to tell Hollowfrost anything, wondered how such secrets could harm any friendship, which was a world she hadn't even started to delve into. But Cedarheart seemed to think it would and so, with her lips tight, she nodded in silent agreement.

The voices weren't missed by her either and her limbs tensed, body half turning. There was no sense in them being caught having a friendly chat on the border and she nodded again in understanding. "I should be going back as well."

But his gesture stopped her and her pale eyes narrowed curiously, following the deputy across the river until he slid out of sight among the rocks. Though she didn't have to wait long before he reappeared. The bundle between his jaws unnoticeable until he started across the water again. And it was only then that she remembered her bindings, a factor she obviously hadn't put into the equation, so unlike her.

It was something any of her clanmates would have done, weather she wanted their help or not, but the fact that it was a cat from another clan made the little reminder different.

Spottedlegs expression was careful blank as she stared at the deputy, "thanks, Cedarheart," she meowed. His name felt strange on her tongue but the gratitude behind the words would have felt empty without it. With a last dip of her head she scooped the webs into her mouth and turned, limping back into the trees.
PM
^
Cedarheart
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 04:41 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun

Badges

RiverClan

Cedarheart watched her leave, returning to stand in the cool water of the river. He could see the way the trees cast shadows over her white-and-tabby pelt and felt a glimmer of longing to see a sight that familiar on his own side of the border. Perhaps it was why he'd helped her, despite everything Hollowfrost had told him. He pushed that thought away as quickly as it had come. She was a different cat of a different Clan, and though he'd enjoyed the chance to get to know her for himself, it told him many things about what Hollowfrost had been through.

He was pleasantly surprised by the sincerity of her gratitude, but knew that it was likely due to the intimacy of their conversation alone. That sort of meeting couldn't happen again, he felt. Not before Spottedlegs had taken her chance to make amends with Hollowfrost.

Thoughts of the other deputy brought heaviness to his heart. They really were alike, he supposed. Hollowfrost had been the one to bear the brunt of his family's frustrations, but he wondered if he hadn't been alone in the race to meet their father's expectations. If Spottedlegs was as distant to her ThunderClan family as she'd led him to believe, he could imagine that she would find more common ground with her RiverClan brother than either one of them expected. Hopefully that would turn out for the best, and not simply add another stress to an already fragmented relationship.

He turned fully away from the ThunderClan border, hearing the increasingly loud sounds of an approaching border patrol, and sauntered out of the river to join his Clanmates. Yes, he was very glad to be a RiverClan cat on days like these. A Clan where his family had loved him, and the friends who'd replaced them still offered their support. That was, after all, what a Clan was for.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Sunningrocks | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
CritterCosmos Antarsia-Rpg