Warrior Cats A RPG -> Better to have loved and lost... [P]

Warrior Cats: A RPG

NEWS: WindClan is reopening the tunnels!

Weather: It's newleaf! Temperatures are warm throughout the forest. Storms may pop up in the afternoon.

Ongoing Events:
We have an art contest up to design a new shopkeeper.
Nominations for summer's Artist and RPer of the Season have started! Open through June 15th.

Add Reply
New Poll

Better to have loved and lost... [P], Cedarheart, Wildeye
Cedarheart
 Posted: Oct 21 2017, 03:06 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun
Member Inventory: View
Donate Freshkill: Here

Badges

Awards: 1

The Patrol Guy™

RiverClan

Perhaps this wasn't the best place to keep coming back to. It felt right, just lying in the soft sand by the river and gazing out to where the rippling stream joined with deeper waters. He could remember the sharp bite of the ice on his paws last leafbare; the sensation had burned deep into his pads and left him numb for days afterward. Somehow he'd still felt it, numb as he was and cold as the rest of him had gotten when they fought to break that ice. The back of his neck prickled with uncertainty as he wondered how 'right' this would feel when the snow came back.

Pale green eyes flickered to stare at deeper water. Willowflight would have been happy, knowing that Wildeye had come home. His sister had never once doubted in her best friend's promise to return. 'She's as spirited as her name,' Willowflight had told him, 'but her spirit makes her strong. She'll be here after the snow melts; it's just a matter of time.' And he had believed her. Though not as tightly-bound as Eastcreek and Westriver, he and Willowflight had borne each other's joys and burdens. He'd trusted her like no other, and in turn that trust had reflected on the company Willow had kept.

Wildeye's scent carried on the breeze, upwind of where he lay on the strip of land between stream and river. He didn't call to her; he knew that she'd cross the shallow water to join him if that's what she wanted. Even in that, there was some sort of reliability to Wildeye.

He rested his chin on his paws, a ghost of a smile crossing his face as he imagined the knowing look he'd get from Willowflight for that. Sometimes sisters knew a little more than they should.

--------------------
Deputy of Civil Affairs of RiverClan.

Fullybody ref
PM
^
Wildeye
 Posted: Oct 21 2017, 03:36 PM

Wildeye

Freshkill:
warrior
she/her
Played by Shally

Badges

Awards: None

I don't want to be someone else

RiverClan

Wildeye had fallen back into the pattern of life in RiverClan, seeming to take to it like a fish to water. She worked hard, taking dawn and evening patrols and throwing herself into anything that needed doing. Reporting to Cedarheart for patrol assignments still felt strange. She'd tried to tease him about it the first day, but the words had felt flat and dry in her mouth.

So she hunted and patrolled and let the business push down the grief that threatened to swallow her. Some mornings she woke feeling trapped, desperate to escape the confines of camp. That, though, was easy to play off as eagerness. It was just a change. She'd adjust.

It took her longer than it usually would to spot Cedarheart, partially because she was scanning the river for fish. When she did spot him, though, one ear flicked back. What was he doing out here? It was nearly nightfall, and he didn't seem to be hunting

Wildeye gave the surroundings a quick look, ever checking for danger. And then she plunged into the stream, stepping through the chest deep water with the incautious grace of a born RiverClan cat in water. She emerged dripping and didn't shake, at least kind enough in that moment not to give Cedarheart a shower.

"Cedar? You okay? What are you doing out here? It's nearly night fall. " Her whiskers twitched as she focused that one bright eye on him, though it softened with what seemed to be concern.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Cedarheart
 Posted: Oct 21 2017, 04:16 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun

Badges

The Patrol Guy™

RiverClan

Cedarheart twisted his head back over his shoulder to watch the she-cat plunge through the cool water to reach him. The ghosted smile became real, though it remained soft. Water streamed from her fur as she hit dry sand, but the tabby didn't shake. He acknowledged the lack of action for the respect it implied, and sat up properly to greet her.

"I come here to think," he admitted, waving the tip of his tail to welcome Wildeye closer. "It's usually quiet here. Good for catching birds, if you get here early enough." It wasn't early anymore; that much was obvious as the sky had already darkened to dusk.

Wildeye approached him. The water no longer fell in streams, though it steadily dripped from her short fur. "Most cats take the stepping stones," he told her, and the words felt like they should have been teasing. Neither of them were 'most cats' in his mind. She and Cedarheart both preferred to swim where they could. Wet fur hadn't bothered him since his first moon as an apprentice, and he imagined it was the same for her. Something about that made his heart swell with pride and affection; she was and always had been RiverClan.

She did shake a little when she stepped up to sit with him, though. He chuckled, turning his face away as fat droplets landed on his head and shoulders. The cinnamon tom was undeterred, shifting closer to help groom some of the rest of that water from his Clanmate's pelt. Her scent was soothing as he stopped to bump his nose against her cheek, but he wasn't smiling anymore. "This was where I found Willowflight."

--------------------

Fullybody ref
PM
^
Wildeye
 Posted: Oct 21 2017, 04:35 PM

Wildeye

Freshkill:
warrior
she/her
Played by Shally

Badges

RiverClan

At the invitation, Wildeye trotted over. She did pause long enough to give a small shake, letting out a purr of amusement as she sat down next to him. "You, think? Who knew? " she teased. "And the stepping stones are boring."

Wildeye settled down, easing into a comfortable crouch as he began to help her dry off. They'd always been comfortable and easy with one another, as strange as it was to not have Willowflight to mediate. His next words sobered her and she sighed. Her one eye closed and she ducked her head, almost pressing her nose to the sand.

" When? "

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Cedarheart
 Posted: Oct 21 2017, 05:01 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun

Badges

The Patrol Guy™

RiverClan

He snorted at her immediate dismissal of the stepping stones. It was a quiet laugh, but the moment of levity was more than welcome.

Cedarheart looked out over the river, trying to picture it as it had been the day Willowflight had died. "Late morning, I think. It was still early in newleaf when the weather turned cold again. Most of the birds weren't back yet." His voice was quiet as he answered her, his tail curling gently over hers. He looked down at their paws for a moment, only to find her nose-down to the sand.

"I remember her telling me to behave myself when I left on the dawn patrol. We butted heads, she purred at me. The rest of it's just a blur. I guess no one realized she hadn't come home until I did. The next thing I knew, I was clawing at ice to reach her." There was something broken in his voice as he recalled what had happened. A little guilt, a little grief; even a little anger. He didn't know if it was at Willowflight or himself, but he knew somewhere that it wasn't deserved either way.

"The ice is thickest in the shallows," he murmured. "It always is. She just went the wrong way." Fur like fire was cold to touch, bright eyes too dull and empty. They'd never really found out what happened, but Willowflight's scent had been the only fresh scent they could find nearby. A freak accident and a moment of panic at the wrong time. It didn't hurt less, knowing that no one could be blamed for what had happened.

--------------------

Fullybody ref
PM
^
Wildeye
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 08:15 PM

Wildeye

Freshkill:
warrior
she/her
Played by Shally

Badges

RiverClan

Wildeye uncurled her paws, stretching them out before her, and then pressed her forehead against them as she listened. She needed to know, had to know, but she couldn't look at him. Not when everything about him reminded her of Willow, her best friend. Willowflight had been the match to her heart - not in that way, but her sister-in-heart. It had burned to leave her.

But she had never expected to come back with her not here.

When she first tried to speak, all she managed was a choked, grief-stricken noise. And then she swallowed, hard, her ears tilting back. Finally she raised her head, still only looking at the river. Her throat worked as she tried to clear it.

"Not long, then. After... After I left." The words fell flat when she said them, and she squeezed her eyes shut, the empty socket not quite closing. She'd kept Cedar on her blind side, an instinct borne of a deep trust towards him. "I... Should have been here. I might have been with her. Might have stopped her, maybe -"

maybe I would have died instead

"I missed her vigil." That wasn't broken or flat. It came out as almost a sob.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Cedarheart
 Posted: Oct 30 2017, 01:09 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun

Badges

The Patrol Guy™

RiverClan

The cry of grief that spilled from Wildeye's throat was enough to break Cedar's heart in turn. He'd never felt the meaning of his name more acutely than now, pressing his flank against her wet one with a crackling purr of comfort. His grief echoed hers, for causing her pain that he knew he couldn't ease.

She didn't look at him and, as much as he ached inside to know what she was thinking, he had a feeling he knew exactly why she wouldn't. If he'd broken before at the sight of his reflection, he could only imagine what it must be like for Wildeye to see him. He could never replace her; not in a thousand moons. But his coat had lightened since they were young, his manners so similar to what Willowflight's would have been: it probably struck too close to home.

He watched her fight to close an empty eye; the other hidden from his view. Her words came unbidden, flat and toneless to the point that he feared for a moment she was unbearably angry with him. Angry for his failure in protecting the sister they now mourned. But her words began to crack, matching the broken sound of his now-hopeless purr as she sobbed beside him on the riverbank. He closed his eyes, pressing his forehead to her cheek and wrapping his thick tail protectively around her. He didn't know what to tell her. He didn't know how to begin apologizing for this, or if she'd even want one.

In the end, he said nothing. He fought to keep his purring steady as he held her close; whether or not he'd ever be more to her, Wildeye meant the world to him. She needed him here and here he would stay.

--------------------

Fullybody ref
PM
^
Wildeye
 Posted: Nov 5 2017, 11:11 PM

Wildeye

Freshkill:
warrior
she/her
Played by Shally

Badges

RiverClan

Wildeye was silent for a while - a long while. Now that the grief had been driven home, now that there was no denying her best friend was dead, she couldn't push past it. Not without facing it, not without finding a way over or around. No more ignoring it - the grief was raw and real and terrible.

The one-eyed she-cat had lived those past moons. Done terribly stupid and wonderful and adventurous things, and seen the world through that one good eye. And the whole time, her best friend had been dead. There was no way around it, and facing the enormity of that fact felt insurmountable.

So she took her time, pressed up against her friend. And eventually her muscles began to relax, tension she hadn't noticed easing. It still felt like a part of her was being torn apart, but it was just that - a part of her. Not her whole.

"I can't believe she's gone, Cedar," she finally said in a hoarse whisper. "I - I was always the stupid one. The reckless one. It was supposed to be me who died in some... Stupid accident or mishap. She was always sure I'd fall in the gorge when I ran it, and -" She choked on the words, shaking her head and breaking the contact with his forehead.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here for you."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Cedarheart
 Posted: Nov 6 2017, 10:34 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun

Badges

The Patrol Guy™

RiverClan

Cedarheart stayed by her side, feeling the gentle shift of her flanks as she began to relax and her warm breath on his whiskers. She smelled sweet, like rain and fresh moss. It was a scent that reminded him of home, but uniquely hers.

He'd been where she now was; wondering what they could have done to save Willowflight if they'd only been there in time. If anyone at all could have saved Willowflight. The grief was soul-deep for both of them. He had faith in the closeness of Wild's bond with his sister. She'd seemed as much littermates with Willowflight as he did, though the two of them had certainly never shared the same sibling-like bond. Not from his side.

It was a while before Wildeye found the will to speak again and her voice sounded so coarse in a way he hadn't heard for moons. When Wild had lost her parents, her voice had sounded this way for days. He prayed to StarClan that this wouldn't destroy her the same way. "Wild-" he murmured tenderly, wincing as she pulled away from him. Cool evening air rushed to fill the gap, turning his wince to a shiver, and his pale eyes scanned her face with concern.

She was apologizing, and as much as he wanted to say it wasn't necessary... Something inside him loosened at her words. He'd never blamed her for being gone, but it didn't mean that he hadn't desperately wished to be with her again. Wildeye, who despite her coarse nature had always cared what happened to them. He'd have had another to grieve with when, for him, it had really mattered. His eyes fluttered shut as he choked back a gasp of his own, nodding to express his gratitude. It took a couple seconds before he actually managed to respond in words. "I'm just glad you're back," he whispered. "I couldn't bear to lose you both." She didn't know the truth of that; he'd never told her and now was definitely not the time to explain it.

--------------------

Fullybody ref
PM
^
Wildeye
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 10:38 PM

Wildeye

Freshkill:
warrior
she/her
Played by Shally

Badges

RiverClan

Wildeye looked away, towards the ThunderClan side of the river. She couldn't look at him - not when he could read her expression so easily, not when it felt like every nerve was exposed and raw. Her tattered ear lay back, nostrils flaring as she scented the air. The familiar scents of the river didn't soothe her, though. Just reminded her of home without Willowflight.

"There were some times I didn't think I'd come back," she said softly, her tail tip twitching. "Not - not on purpose. Just... Things happened. And I'd always think, 'if only Willow could see this, she'd tell me just how insane I am!'. And she'd be right." She snorted, her voice raw. "But I was always going to come back. Only death would've kept me away."

She reached a paw out, drawing it through the sand. Wildeye didn't know what to do, how to - damn it all, she was gone, Willow was gone. "I'm sorry, Willow," she said in a soft whisper.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Cedarheart
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 11:57 PM

Cedarheart

Freshkill:
Deputy
Male
Played by Lunlun

Badges

The Patrol Guy™

RiverClan

Cedarheart held himself still at her side, his breathing a little ragged as he listened to Wildeye talk. It was a raw, sorrowful sound but the softness eased his mind. The knowledge that, even for the tabby herself, there was comfort in her promise to return. She was true to her name, always going somewhere. But she still had to come home eventually and, as much as it should've meant a return to normalcy for both of them, home came with a new set of worries and burdens for those who stayed there.

That RiverClan still meant home to Wildeye was a small miracle for Cedarheart. He wasn't sure what he'd do if she ever chose to leave. Thank StarClan for her loyal heart.

He opened his eyes to watch her paw at the sand, heart aching for the tabby as she offered her last goodbyes to her best friend. A quiet hum of sorrow echoed her apology, but he was no longer fully watching the tabby.

He knew he was hallucinating the cluster of stars that sat with them on the riverbank. She had Willowflight's gentle face and tender heart, but Wildeye seemed not to see or hear her. He could hear her sweet purring as the image of his sister stepped in to press her nose to Wildeye's. Her expression was full of love, just as it had been on the day Wild left them. And how it should have been on the day she returned.

Cedarheart couldn't help but shift closer to Wildeye as the illusion withdrew. It didn't feel sane, watching his dead sister say goodbye. He loved Willowflight, but he had enough trouble moving on from her death without fooling himself to see her ghost at every turn. He wasn't a medicine cat; he just wanted to be alive, safe at home with Wildeye and whatever remained of their Clan. He was relieved, then, as Willowflight moved to pace around them, disappearing into a stream of glittering lights. The little stars faded quickly, leaving him lost beside Wildeye in the sand.

"She loved you," he managed, not terribly sure where the words came from. "She always did." And so did he.

--------------------

Fullybody ref
PM
^
Wildeye
 Posted: Nov 20 2017, 12:31 AM

Wildeye

Freshkill:
warrior
she/her
Played by Shally

Badges

RiverClan

Wildeye stretched her paws out before her, sliding them through the sand as she dropped down to her belly, ignoring the chill. She placed her head on her paws, staring out at the river, still not able to look at him. Just that empty socket turned his way. But when he pressed against her slightly, she didn't shift, taking in the warmth of her friend.

"I loved her, too." What else was there to say? She felt like it had all been said.

Nothing would ever be the same.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | RiverClan | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Antarsia-Rpg Warriors: No Moon Bearbones